This thought didn't come to me until the weekend, but I saw a connection between the painting in the art museum about St. Lawrence and a piece from Beah's work
This past week we talked about two passages, one was about how Beah was at a cemetary mourning over the dead, especially his friend who recently passed away. I found a connection between this and the painting of St. Lawrence.
In the painting, there is darkness all around St. Lawrence. The darkness brings a gloomy, depressing mood over the painting, and the only light shown is from the heavens, by an angel. In Beah's book. The setting in Sierra Leone is depressing, it's gloomy from all the fighting and in the passage I read, it seemed the only light came from the afterlife. The dead had nothing to fear anymore, since they were finally gone from all the violence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I like this parallel of finding some solace in death.
ReplyDelete