This past Tuesday I went to the MLK speaker at Pruis hall. The speaker was Reverend Joseph Lowery, a man who worked along Martin Luther King Jr in the Civil Rights movement. I didn't know him by his name...but I recognized his face.
The Reverend was very interesting, but I found difficult, to listen to. He made many jokes which made the audience and me laugh. I loved when he made a reference to a man in american idol when a guy had asked the reverend a question. However what I found difficult was his voice. I think it was his age that gave his voice a worn out sound, but I had trouble listening to everything he said and missed some of the punchlines to his jokes.
What I also loved was his numerous examples, like how to love someone. For example he mentioned the phrase "give a man a fish and he's fed for a day, teach him how to fish and he's fed for a lifetime." We need to help people in ways that they learn how to help themselves, and even others, like pay it forward.
What I also liked was at the end he mentioned we need to take inventory in the country, how are we doing? I think we have a whole lot to do, since still after around 50 to 60 years after the time of MLK JR, not everyone is free.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I also had to listen really closely, so I was glad the crowd was pretty hushed during his speech.
ReplyDelete