Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A "Conversation" with Ted Koppel

Last night I attended Ted Koppel's "conversation" with Ball State. The subject matter on journalism in America. I thought what he had to say was very interesting, one of his points was that America is obsessed with knowing what's going on every 5 seconds rather than important events that may have happened weeks ago. With devices like Facebook and Twitter, we are obsessed with knowing what's going on at this moment.

I think America is too focused on matters that isn't important, like what kind of dog the president is wanting to buy, or what did a celebrity have to eat for breakfast this morning. I don't care.

1 comment:

  1. When I teach journalism, one of the first things I talk to students about is newsworthiness. One of my points is that "normal" things like what kind of pet someone picks become newsworthy when that person is the president of the United States. Same with crime. A regular person getting a DUI doesn't make the front page, but a politician getting one will.

    ReplyDelete